View Single Post

April 15th, 2010, 23:58
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Personally, I think games would be "best" if they were as close to the artistic vision as humanly possible - with complete inconsideration for anything but the "art" - which will include monetary gain or mainstream appeal.

Unless, of course, the whole mainstream appeal thing IS part of the art. I actually think Blizzard has such a vision, and in that way - I can't really fault them.
If I understood correctly, you're saying it's best if either the game is really close to the artistic vision or if it's as far away from it as possible? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I advocate the opposite, actually.

Zero difficulty levels. Make the game you want, and let the player decide if it's something he wants to invest in, if it's a hard game. If the game is good, he'll make the effort.
Hard difficulty should play exactly like how the developers intended their game to play ("closest as possible to their artistic vision"). So, if you want to experience it the way it was meant to be, choose hard. But, if that's too hard for someone, I don't see a problem in letting that individual to change the difficulty.
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
Ideally I prefer difficulty controlling how intelligent the AI is, but that is often hard to implement.
I'm no programmer, but it doesn't sound too hard. Just make the smartest AI you can, name that "hard" level of difficulty, then take away some of the its tactics and call that "normal".
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
personally i support Paradox's approach where the user can modify AI and self settings on bonuses , aggressiveness etc .
An INI file with easy to edit +% to HP +% to damage +/- level scaling on NPCs / loot (and other) variables is the way i see the best since it let user take control of everything
I understand your point of view, but I (and I'm probably in a majority) don't really like to challenge myself. I do, however, like to be challenged, so I'm all for predefined difficulty levels.

I feel like I could… like I could… TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!

Malk

The Tentacle