View Single Post

April 22nd, 2010, 15:54
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
But, if they managed to have the 100% "pure" experience on "normal" - then yes, it would be ok. But that's not what normal is.
And how do you know that? I figure 99% of games have one difficulty (not necessarily normal) which is 100% pure. Maybe the devs should let their players know which one that is, but I always kinda assumed that it's normal.
No that's not what I said. I said I suspect their vision IS to appeal to the mainstream, but not because of the money - but because they simply like the idea of pleasing as many people as possible. So, if this is true - then their artistic vision requires them to balance it for as many people as possible.
I guess the artistic vision of most developers is to give players selectable difficulty levels, not because their game would sell better, but because it would be a better game if they did. At least that's what I'd do.
Ehm, I have nothing to do with what Tragos likes.

I'm saying having one difficulty level doesn't necessarily mean having a challenging game. It simply means the game is "pure" in terms of difficulty, because there's nothing to disturb the balance or experience in that way.
Yeah, that's what you're saying, and that's got nothing to do with my conversation with Tragos. He said he likes customizable difficulty, I said I don't, but I do get his point of view. Then you came in and said that I don't get his point of view, and that the stuff we talked about has nothing to do with challenge. So, finally, I explained why it does have to do with challenge. Maybe you think it doesn't, but the fact is we talked about challenge (that is, difficulty).
They don't really make the investment to overcome the challenge if they know they can just reduce difficulty.

Like, in Demon's Souls, if you had the option to circumvent the harsh death penalty, most people would do so - because no one likes to run through the level again.
And that's the player's problem, not the developer's. I know gamers are not strong-willed enough (which is why communism failed), but they still should be given the right to choose (if the game has one difficulty which is 100% right to the artistic vision).

I feel like I could… like I could… TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!

Malk

The Tentacle