View Single Post

April 25th, 2010, 22:20
Some movies I've seen recently:

Red Cliff
Almost 5 hours long Chinese epic film (split in two parts) by John Woo, based on Records of the Three Kingdoms. Lush and beautiful, great actors, music, interesting warfare, … If you are interested in Chinese history or Asian cinema, this is a must-see.

Careful about which version you get though, the western theatrical release was basically cut in half (280 minutes runtime of two movies compressed into one movie of 140 min.) The long version is available as a "special edition" in the UK.

The Warlords
Also an epic Chinese war film, set in the 1860 in the late Qing dynasty. Much darker in tone and portrayal of the subject matter than Red Cliff, as well as more dramatic and tragic. Enjoyed it, but it's not exactly a feel-good film.

Spy Kids 2
Fun, fun, fun! For the entire family. Funniest first minutes I've seen in a long time (theme park rides). According to IMDb lots of people found this movie pretty bad compared to the first one. I loved it, but haven't seen the prequel (yet) — guess I'm in for a treat. Word of advice, if you are a parent, don't watch this with your kids before Christmas or their birthday, they'll probably want lots of presents after seeing all the awesome gadgetry.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Completely weird. And imaginative, obviously. My kinda movie. Would have loved to see more of the variety theater parts — the costumes looked splendid.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; April 25th, 2010 at 22:31.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team