View Single Post

May 19th, 2010, 12:52
I don't think it has anything to do with technical skills, but the scope of what they're trying to implement. Obsidian has a habit of trying to add crazy amounts of content, both in terms of choices/consequences leading to different results, and in terms of "cool stuff to do".

NWN2 is huge. Exceptionally huge. The amount of stuff to do, skills to use and spells to cast is redicilous. Dragon Age was in development for 5+ years while NWN2 was in development for a little over 2 years, yet NWN2 has significantly more abilties, spells, skill checks and so on and so forth, in addition to multiplayer support and an extensive toolset.

No wonder there's little time for optimization. Sure, you can blame them for being over ambitious, but it's hardly the "technical competence" that is in question here.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Alpha Protocol had twice the content of ME due to all the possible ways to solve it (not just in terms of combat, but also dialogues and consequences), yet it's bound to be less polished, as I very much doubt it had a bigger budget than ME did.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander