View Single Post

June 28th, 2010, 15:34
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Hmmm, you described a main-quest sounding action but asked about side or trivial quest actions. If you have 5 or 6 choices in several quests it makes a game confusing and a little boring. For the most part, I want one or two outcomes. Any more and it frustrates me because I can't see everything in one playthrough. I have a 50 hours/week job, I don't have time to replay several scenarios. I'm going to get one shot at your game, or none if there are so many choices that it sounds impossible to complete it.

I may not be your target audience though. Someone like Maylander will complete a game multiple times, so would like several branching choices perhaps. You have to decide which game you want to make and balance that against who you think will buy it. Are there more nuts in the world or more maylanders?
I don't think you're the target audience though, the target audience that 'wants to see everything in the game in one playthrough'. I think replayability is an important part of a game, and the best replayability there is is when a game has 'branches'. In first playthrough, I helped the Zabu people restore the gem of Zabuness, which is used to kill the Mombus tribe. Second playthrough, I help the Mombus find the Well of Happiness (and when they drink it, the Zabu people die horrible deaths, as that what makes the Mombus happy). So, you have a set of quests that you'll find, and a set you won't see.
If you don't have time for multiple plays, then decide for one and stick with it, that was *your* game. Forget of what could have been.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is