The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Balance is a critical skill for soloing. You do no damage while on your back. I've found the best tactics for a solo anything is damage mitigation. This is why all my characters who have access to Resist Energy have it loaded 24/7, and why my Arcanes grab Blur as well.

Rangers are solid melee characters, getting all the TWF feats for free, which even after the nerf is still the strongest damaging style in DDO. Fireflash rarely does ranged at all, relying mostly on melee combat. She's soloed everything up to her level, with ease. Including things like Proof is in the Poison and Clearing the Air, which gave the entire guild trouble in the past. Then again, I view Proof as a test for all my characters. I even ran it solo with Mureall, a Sorcerer.

Many melee builds go 6 Ranger for Tempest I, or 12 for Tempest II, with 6 Fighter for Kensai or a splash in Monk for Wis to AC and unarmored AC bonus. Fireflash is a Rogue1/Ranger18/Monk1 Tempest III build plan. Able to self-heal, handle locks and traps, find secret doors, solid damage output in melee and even ranged with Many Shot, and can get fair AC for a non-AC built character.

A good plan is needed in DDO just as it is in D&D.

Heal actually affects how many hp you get back when someone revives you from being incapacitated as well. However, casting a Cure Wounds spell works better, so it's never used. Diplomacy causes the character to lose all aggro for a brief time. Handy for a Sorcerer whose drawing fire constantly, not so much for anyone else.

Jump really isn't useful to push, as I can just hit you with a Jump spell, which will give +20 right now, +30 eventually, to the skill. Add a +10 Item, and you're at the skill's cap. For casters, Concentration and Balance are key. Sorcerers and Wizards should also pump UMD for self healing eventually. Anything else is gravy. Though only Wizards are really going to have any significant amount of skill points. Clerics, FvS, and Sorcerers all have few skill points. Mureall took a few points in INT just to afford UMD and Balance.

Divine Vitality is only good for group play, as is Divine Healing and Divine Cleansing. Divine Light is a short range AoE doing 6d6 damage to undead (save for half), which is useful in about a third of the content, and Divine Might adds +2 to-hit and damage per tier, which is always useful. My Paladin runs that constantly, though my Cleric no longer has the points for it with the new Radiant Servant PrE.

I spent several hours with Peter's DDOWiki last night. The thing that bugged me about it is that everything is structured around group play. So, for example, they pretty much avoid the heal skill for all classes with the logic that the party healer can do more good anyway. That's all well and good until there isn't a party healer. At that point, an extra 10 points at the heal shrine looks a little more valuable. They say (as did Peter) that it's more efficient to cast detect secret doors or use a wand. That's all well and good until you're soloing a barbarian. I'm really not disputing the logic, because it's perfectly sound, but I'm not sure I'm operating in the context the logic is intended for.

I think my malfunction is locking into a single player mentality for a group game. To some extent, it's the "right" approach since a "self-sufficient" toon can function in a group while a "party optimized" toon is going to have gaping holes in their abilities when going solo. Add in my "complete-ist" disease prompting certain priorities and it might simply be an unsolvable equation.

For the record, I don't understand all the fuss over Clear the Air. All 3 toons solo'd that without much trouble (the barby did die on his first attempt due solely to my impatience, but did just fine on round 2), and I'm certainly no powergamer. Proof, on the other hand, kicked 2 toons hard enough that I didn't even try the 3rd one. I probably ought to give it another swing some day.

It is more effective to pop a couple of CLW potions than put limited skill points into Heal. You can always get more gold and potions, you only get so many skill points. Clerics, for example, get 1 + INT mod. Most of them are going to have 1-2 (for humans and drow). You have Concentration, and Balance as necessities. Where will you put heal? Only Rogues, Monks, Bards, and Rangers get a good amount of skill points normally, and Wizards due to having high INT scores.

You can get items which cast spells, which can be used by all classes. This is what me, peter, and the wiki is saying to use. I have two cloaks and a pair of boots which have 3 uses of Detect Secret Doors per rest on different characters. No UMD needed, or caster levels. My sorcerer and bard carry the wands. My wizard will eventually as well, if I ever get around to playing it. Many carry Divine Power/Favor clickie items as well, which give combat boosts that are otherwise Cleric/FvS/Paladin only.

Clear the Air is a tough one for a newer player, or one who likes to zerg. I've soloed it with several characters as well, since that first time in there where we wiped twice. Some others like Tear of Dharkan or Proof is in the Poison are challenging quests even with a group.

If you want secrets, one or two items that can cast Secret Doors is far easier to obtain, and maintain, than pulling skill points from valuable skills to search. Especially since most classes can't get search up to a viable level anyway, due to being cross class. On a Barbarian, Intimidate (to draw aggro) and Balance are good. You likely won't have the skill points to maintain much else. Jump past 10 points is useless, tumble isn't much use past enough to get the actual tumble, etc...

I have played solo on some quests by using a hireling, type dependent on my character of course. The game is set up for group play on most quests so unless I am several levels above the quest I grab a helper. The clerics and fighters work ok. Soc and Wiz need a bit of micro management to get them to do what you want when.

If you want secrets, one or two items that can cast Secret Doors is far easier to obtain, and maintain, than pulling skill points from valuable skills to search. Especially since most classes can't get search up to a viable level anyway, due to being cross class. On a Barbarian, Intimidate (to draw aggro) and Balance are good. You likely won't have the skill points to maintain much else. Jump past 10 points is useless, tumble isn't much use past enough to get the actual tumble, etc…
See, you're doing it, too. Who cares about drawing aggro with a solo toon? Kinda pointless ability when you're the entire party. It's just a different context. Mine is wrong, make no mistake, but it is what it is.

Anyway mate, why would you want to solo when You have US to play with!! :)

Alright then, let's see what y'all think of this for a 2 weapon melee ranger (I didn't break out the skill points, but it's the same 7 skills until 3 of them get to 20 and then I dumped 9 points into heal just to spend them):
Code:
[u][b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34[/b][/u]
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

[B][U]Wouldii Wohntii[/U][/B]
Level 20 Neutral Good Human Male
(20 Ranger) 
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 313 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 15
Will: 8

[B]                  Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
[U](32 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=silver]Strength             17                    23
Dexterity            14                    17
Constitution         13                    14
Intelligence         10                    10
Wisdom               14                    14
Charisma              8                     8[/COLOR]

Base Skills         Modified Skills
[U]Skills[/U]           [U](Level 1)[/U]            [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=silver]Balance               4                    14.5
Bluff                -1                    -1
Concentration         1                     2
Diplomacy            -1                    -1
Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
Haggle                1                    10.5
Heal                  2                    11
Hide                  2                     3
Intimidate           -1                    -1
Jump                  7                    26
Listen                2                     2
Move Silently         2                     3
Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
Perform              n/a                   n/a
Repair                0                     0
Search                4                    21
Spot                  6                    22
Swim                  3                     6
Tumble                4                    14.5
Use Magic Device      1                    10.5
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Dodge[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Human Bonus) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Versatility I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Search I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Mobility[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Racial Toughness I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Versatility II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Goblinoid[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Desert Lore I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Energy of the Wild I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Spring Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Racial Toughness II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Attack I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Power Critical[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Attack II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Human[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Ranger)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 18 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Point Blank Shot[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Dragon[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Master of Archery[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Swamp Lore I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Item Defense I[/COLOR]
The bad news is that building this is going to make Barimour obsolete. I can pick her clean of as much loot as possible, but there's still going to be some losses there.

Code:

[B][U]Wouldii Wohntii[/U][/B]
(20 Ranger) 
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 313 
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 15
Will: 8

[U](32 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=silver]Strength             17                    23
Dexterity            14                    17
Constitution         13                    14
Intelligence         10                    10
Wisdom               14                    14

[COLOR=silver]Balance               4                    14.5
Bluff                -1                    -1
Concentration         1                     2
Diplomacy            -1                    -1
Haggle                1                    10.5
Heal                  2                    11
Hide                  2                     3
Intimidate           -1                    -1
Jump                  7                    26
Listen                2                     2
Move Silently         2                     3
Repair                0                     0
Search                4                    21
Spot                  6                    22
Swim                  3                     6
Tumble                4                    14.5
Use Magic Device      1                    10.5
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Dodge[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Human Bonus) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Versatility I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Search I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Mobility[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Racial Toughness I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Versatility II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Goblinoid[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Desert Lore I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Energy of the Wild I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Spring Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Racial Toughness II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Attack I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Power Critical[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Attack II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Defense III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Improved Recovery III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Human[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Damage IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Favored Resistance III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Ranger)[/U][/B]

[B][U]Level 18 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Selected) Point Blank Shot[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Tempest III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Dexterity III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Ranger)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=lightblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver](Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Dragon[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Master of Archery[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Swamp Lore I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=lemonchiffon]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=silver]Ranger Item Defense I[/COLOR]

You can actually pull points from Wisdom, as you can cast spells by using an item to get the necessary level. So a 10 base WIS, add a +4 or better item, and you're good to go. Put those into Con; I started Fireflash with a 14 CON, but she's an Elf.

Everything else is good to go. You can take a single level of Rogue at level 1, and get open lock and disable, but you'll probably have to bump INT to 12 to do so. You'll lose the capstone, but it's not very good anyway. Enhancements aren't a big issue, as they're easily swapped out.

It's a good idea to end up with even number stats at level 20. One reason is that the best items you can get are +6 ones and that means you maximize the stat bonuses you receive at every even number increase.

I've found jump to be a good skill to pump up quite a bit. One reason is that we're not always in a group where a caster can give us +20 jump. In PuG's you only get jump from a caster when you're facing a really difficult jump. The others expect you to be quite agile and able to time your jumps properly.

I'm so old so I can sometimes make a wrong timing of a jump and fall down while all the others make it. That means the quest takes longer just because I messed up. In certain situations you can be killed from falling down (ending up in lava, a room full of monsters by yourself etc.). Some places you get ONE chance to make the jump or your can't get back there. Other jumps like the way to the golem in Tear of Dhakaan is quite challenging.

I collect items with +10 jump so I can switch it in when I get to an area I see I need to time my jumps. The problem is that the level restrictions for such items are 10+. I agree with Don that bumping jump up all the way is not necessary if you play in groups with a caster, but it's definitely convenient to have a decent jump.

Yesterday we noticed the danger of being knocked down. In the quest where we fought giants I was knocked down constantly since I had aggro. My balance is quite good so I got back on my feet quickly. I don't do damage when I'm on the ground and when the group needs me to kill the monsters quickly then we face a party wipe if I'm on the ground for too long.

The point is that most classes have only a few skills that are really necessary to pick every level. With int more than 8 and being a human you get a chance to bump another skill too. Which one you choose is a matter of taste.

Swimming is a skill that most people ignore, but I've been in a quest where I payed dearly for not having points in it. It was a mid level quest either in Gianthold or the Desert. We had to swim underwater to get to a certain new area to continue. The problem was that the water had a strong current. The speed you could swim against the current was dependent upon the level if the swimming skill. With no or low skill in swimming (I had negative due to armor) you could NOT swim against the current at all. Instead you were slowly dragged in the current's direction. That meant you could not get to the area you were supposed to unless you knew exactly which intersections to choose. To make matters worse the current direction ended in a huge fan with razor sharp blades that rotated fast. When you got there you were shredded to pieces in seconds. Then your soul stone is in a very dangerous area. If you eat a siberys cake to resurrect you just get sucked back into the fan. That happened to me and I was only saved by a guy with high swimming who got there and grabbed my soul stone to get me to the next area. Then I could resurrect.

I mention this to show you that which skills we're going to need for the future can change and there are skills we see as useless now that can be really important in the future.

I played a mid level quest yesterday in the desert where we had to free a lot of slaves. At one part we had to talk with some guards to the detention area and use our diplomacy or bluff skills. If we fail that one then we have a really tough fight ahead. Fortunately one guy had a decent bluff. I think we need a total of 20 or so.
The last part of Delara's Tomb (Thrall of the Necromancer) requires a bluff total of 5 I think to even get the quest. Usually a player has an item he lends to each player with a lower bluff skill. Those with high charisma will often quality without an item, but others might not.

Turbine has said that more battles with happen underwater in the future as well thus increasing the need for the swim skill. I expect Turbine to make tweaks so each class will have more need of their class skills. E. g. it's not normal that a cleric can ignore the heal skill completely. E. g. the enhancemen tradiant servant enhancements could have a requirement to the heal skill.

Another thing to mention is that soloing quests at mid-level is much harder. One reason is that the quests require a party who can do several tasks (disarm traps, heal, setup firewalls etc.). Some quests even have runes you need to open to get past. The most typical ones are for wisdom, intelligence and strength. It's hard for a solo character to do all these. At mid level the traps become quite nasty even at normal difficulty. A barbarian can be a trap monkey, but he will get addicted to healing potions. ;) A wizard can forget about trying to get past the traps.

There is a reason why most PUG's wait before starting a quest until they have covered all these 4 key roles: tank, healer, caster and trap remover. The extra slots are often filled up with bards (great overall character who can do a little of all and have nice buffs), rangers, monks etc. The elite players know exactly how to splash their character build so you often see a tank with some rogue capability who can disarm traps. They usually have awesome items who can boost their search and disarm skills.

I think the only areas where you can normally succeed solo are the slayer and rares in areas like Gianthold, Desert etc. But even there you can quickly get overwhelmed so you need to know how to pull the monsters one by one.

It's certainly possible to do the quests solo when you're much higher than the intended quest level. Then you can do them for favor instead of XP.

I think that once you get past level 8-9 you will have a hard and maybe even boring time if you mainly play solo. You won't find many quest you can do and if you check out by trial and error you will get killed a lot. I guess it's better to play with your guild friends or join some PUG groups. The groups become a bit better at higher levels because most of the stupid newbies will never get to level 13-14.

But that doesn't mean you won't see bad PUG people at higher levels too. Two days ago I tried for the first time the raid part of the Vault of Night (VoN) series. The raid is chapter 5-6 and intended for level 10-14 characters. The end loot from chapter 6 is awesome and you get +6 items and others you can just dream about. So it's very popular and you can only join in every 2 day and 18 hours.

We got a raid group going and did it on hard. Part 5 was not so difficult except the end boss, an iron golem. The raid leader said he had tried it the day before and got a party wipe because a newbie had used firewalls and fireballs against the golem. He didn't know that fire actually HEALS the iron golem. So he without knowing it prevented the golem from going down. Our group didn't do that mistake and he went down pretty well. I had an XP enhancement potion and got 27k XP just from part 5.

Then we went to the short part 6 where we're facing an ancient red dragon out in the planes. We have to destroy 3 pillars at the same time and then rush to the door where the dragon is and enter at the same time. The door will close after 6 seconds and those who aren't in at the time will not be part of the end fight and get the end loot.

The bridge leading to the pillars is a trap because if two people are seen on the bridge at the same time the dragon will destroy it with fire breath and they will fall down to their death. It will also prevent the rest of the group from joining.

So people must get across one by one. If too many people are seen on the circle with the pillars the dragon will come out and probably kill the group. So the raid leader lets 3 people with great ranged attack go to each pillar and take them down from a distance. You can't get close because each pillar is protected by mephits who respawn all the time. Those are not regular mephits, but very old ones with lots of hit points.

The pillars must be brought down at the same time or they will regenerate to full strength. So the end fight is rather simple. We send 3 people to each pillar and let them shoot / use spells so the pillars fall down to 10%. Then the leaders tells them to use all they have so they will fall at the same time while the others move one by one up the bridge towards the door to the dragon (that will open when the pillars are destroyed).

Our raid group did exactly that and the raid leader was about to order the rest of us to get up the ramp. Unknown to me a player with a name like Harrypotter (paladin) or something had snuck up the bridge prematurely because he was curious. So he was at the top of the ramp with perfect view of the pillars and the dragon door. He saw it opened and decided to move towards the door ALONE. He went past and the door closed before the rest of the group was even nearby. So he faced the red dragon alone and died, of course. That meant the raid had no chance of winning.

The worst part was that he was known to have borked raids before by deliberately doing things like this at the very last moment. So we wasted an hour of real time and great end loot just because a player wanted to have fun ruining the fun for others.

I get a little nervous counting on items to get me where I need to get. With 3 toons, I've never even been offered Muckbane. I've never been offered the water breathing item. IIRC, the barbarian was offered a feather fall item, but he had tumble and jump so I went other directions; the other 2 haven't been offered feather fall at any point.

Bottom line is that my "self-reliant, self-contained" mentality is inappropriate for the game and I'm going to suffer some mental friction regardless of what I do.

I do appreciate the help and advice, though, gents.

The Wild Dogs are in a parade tonight starting at 6, so I might not be available. It's not like the Bustling Metropolis is going to do a NYC Macy's length parade, but by the time they run the Regatta Princess and her court and Miss Regatta and Miss Junior Regatta and at least 2 school marching bands and a dozen photo-op politicians and whoknowswhatelse past the courthouse it could very well be midnight before I get home.

Here's my simple two-handed fighter, specialized in Great Swords. 28 points character.

Code:

[B][U]Ambeon Skye[/U][/B]
(20 Fighter) 
Hit Points: 260
Spell Points: 0 
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 9
Will: 6

[U](28 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=gray]Strength             17                    25
Dexterity            13                    14
Constitution         14                    14
Intelligence         12                    12
Wisdom                8                     8

[COLOR=gray]Balance               3                    13.5
Bluff                -1                     2
Concentration         2                     5
Diplomacy            -1                     2
Haggle               -1                    -1
Heal                 -1                    -1
Hide                  1                     2
Intimidate            3                    25
Jump                  7                    30
Listen               -1                    -1
Move Silently         1                     2
Repair                1                     1
Search                1                     1
Spot                 -1                    -1
Swim                  3                     7
Tumble                3                    13.5
Use Magic Device     n/a                   n/a
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Dodge[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Human Bonus) Mobility[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Attack Boost I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Armored Agility I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Critical Accuracy I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Human Versatility I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Strength I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Armor Mastery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Mobility I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Human Improved Recovery I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Spring Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Attack Boost II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Critical Accuracy II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Item Defense I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Armored Agility II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Kensei I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Kensei Greatsword Mastery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Human Versatility II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Cleave[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Greatsword Specialization I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Strength II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Attack Boost III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Critical Accuracy III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Strength III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Attack Boost IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Human Greater Adaptability Dexterity I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Kensei Greatsword Mastery II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Kensei II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Stunning Blow[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Critical Accuracy IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Superior Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Armored Agility III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Greatsword Specialization II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Mobility II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Selected) Luck of Heroes[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Slicing Blow[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Kensei Greatsword Mastery III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Kensei III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Mobility III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=blue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray](Fighter Bonus) Improved Sunder[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Extra Action Boost I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=brown]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=gray]Fighter Weapon Alacrity[/COLOR]

At least that was my original plan, I have already changed some minor things in the enhancement category. I'm guessing I'm a bit low on the hitpoints side, but so far it worked out well enough for me (level 7 now). I like balance and tumble, even though they are no class skills, because I like the extra control.

Won't be able to make it tonight, but got 1.5 bubbles and some Guild Exp with Jo yesterday.

Try You Tube. Every quest in the game that can be soloed at all has been soloed at level. It just takes a level of determination, skill, and luck, as well as gear, that I don't have. Even the "Epic" modes have largely been soloed. Even by Wizards. Some classes and builds have it easier than others, but all can solo about 90% of the game. Even some Raids have been soloed before.

It is not the "easy" way to do anything, and takes comparatively forever and much more resources than with a good group. You've got to learn to manage aggro, manage crowds, sp conservation, health conservation, etc...

Then, bad groups are like soloing, but with people who use more of your resources than you do. That's why I never pug with my Cleric.

In DDO, a single level of Rogue and any class with enough spare skill points can get the same level of skill with traps as a pure rogue. That's partially why Rogues are somewhat rare to see, though their sneak attack is excellent reason alone to have one.

As Peter said, a 25 STR gives no greater benefit than a 24 STR. Arhu, you could have saved 3 build points, dropping STR to 16 (and thus at equal effectiveness to your original number, and bumped DEX to 14 (increasing it's total mod by 1) and INT. On my Bard, which is a Drow, I went with 18 CHA because it saved 6 build points vs pushing it to 20. This went into CON. The +1 save DCs and some 50sp at level 20 aren't worth being dead most of the time. I'm still equally effective in spell casting as any human, elf, or halfling Bard. And I have a nice butt to look at when I play, though her current armor is hideous.

Always look to have an even stat number. I usually swap enhancements around when I can, to even the stats out. When I have an even stat, I ignore the enhancement unless I need it for something else (like needing CHA II for Radiant Servant II, IIRC).

I used my free Feat swap on Aerii to net Augment Summoning. It actually makes a difference. I reran Catacombs to finish the last bit to 8, on Hard, and my Spider lasted through almost all the quests without dying. Only Gerald Dryden's Tomb, where it took too long and the summon duration ran out, and the last one had me losing my Spider. And the last one ended before he died, I just didn't bother killing all the skeletons.

It was actually faster for my Cleric to let my Aura deal with the undead, and just turtle up. At one point, I had 10 skeletons on my, missing constantly, and it took about 10 seconds to kill them all, just holding shift. Fastest I'd ever ran that quest.

Dte, don't feel bad about the muckbane, or lack thereof. I ran that stupid quest three times plus with all my toons and never once got muckbane. :cm:

As Peter said, a 25 STR gives no greater benefit than a 24 STR. Arhu, you could have saved 3 build points, dropping STR to 16 (and thus at equal effectiveness to your original number, and bumped DEX to 14 (increasing it's total mod by 1) and INT.
Ultimately I would have preferred to have 32 points to spend, but I'm fine as is. I'll get 14 DEX at level 13. 17 STR instead of 16 means I get mod bumps earlier via enhancements or magical items, until STR is at 24... which is a long time, and then there's still all that reincarnation business.

Dte, you can always grab a feather cloak on Korthos; the quest takes about 10 mins to complete.

Well, you have to finish all the village quests first, before you can get to the island quests. But they're easy, designed so even a solo level 1 wizard could make it through.

I've pulled Muckbane about every time I've ran Durk's it seems. :p Some quests I have no luck, others I have all of it.

Like the others, I have never had muckbane drop and I've done Durks at least 12 times. Perhaps they changed it to only drop on Elite.

Back
Top Bottom