View Single Post

July 15th, 2010, 12:18
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
We are acctually considering such a things as weight of your boots for moving or your weapons weight for hitting.
I once had a similar idea with the Star Wars game called "X-Wing".

Meanwhile Proton-Torpedoes are carried, the amount of consumed fuel should be more then after when they have been fired - and their weight is gone.

This is - by the way - a serious way to save money for fuel : Don't carry heavy things in your car - not more than necessary. Each little bit of weight consumes more fuel = more money.

Plus, without the weight of the Torpedoes, these X-Wings sjhould be a tiny bit faster after the torpedoes are gone, too.

The thing is - regarding the RPG - that not everything needs to be displayed to the player, actually. Imho. Some calculations might simple not be shown, although they are there. or example in how far you stand infavour of a God - like in the NLT (Realms Of Arcania games).

Me, I'm always for something called an expert mode vs. a beginner's mode. In a beginner's mode, verything - or at least most of the things - can be calculated and handled automatically, let's say for example who does the hunting, the search for herbs, or simply the night watch. Experts could chose the members of the night watch manually, thus sparing injured or ill party members.

Purely personally, I found the way it was done perfect in Startrail : It offered both ways.
One could manually elect night watch members, and make this choice to become "automatic".

However, if you decide to put complexity intoit, communication is essential ! The player must - imho - get to know why these values matter ! And that they are actually there, at all !

Edit : Plus, calculations of combat might be displayed both as a summary or as a complete report. The choice lies with the player, imho.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR