View Single Post

July 15th, 2010, 22:13
You might find this very hard to believe, but to me a good example of a game with mechanics that are overcomplicated is World of Warcraft.

Now, many might say that the game has been oversimplified and that's true for many things in that game, but not for it's actual class mechanics. They require you to take a lot of differant things in account. Many abilities have unique rules and many talents modify those unique rules again. To make things even worse, the amount of statpoints per piece of gear has been inflated to the point where it is nigh impossible to determine what gear really is an upgrade without the use of 3rd party tools. And I'm not talking about quickly whipping up a quick excell sheet, but a very, very extensive excell sheet that requires heavy programming. That, or other 3rd party programs like Rawr. The whole system feels very uninvolving, unrewarding and distant.

D&D 3 and 3.5 edition do this a lot better if you ask me. As you start off with it, its not entirely clear what's going on. You might need to draw a few things out (e.g. to see what str or cha does for your pala in 3.5) but after a while, you can eyeball most things with some certainty.

Atleast, that's what I think about it. If you know the system and can't eyeball it to a certain extent, it's too complex.

- If at first you don't succeed… try, try again.
Last edited by Davion; July 15th, 2010 at 22:25.

Davion

Lawful Good