View Single Post

July 19th, 2010, 11:11
Corwin, azraelck: This is the perfect example to show my own difficulties I had with my first (A)D&D game named "Baldur's Game".

These values were nowhere sufficiently explained, and despite having read the handbook - which explained skills & spells, but few other things - I had constant troubles understanding the system.

Having "grown up" with TDE, a thing like "a +3 dagger" meant nothing to me. I couldn't understand what this +3 stood for - and even worse, to what it should be added !

That was about 10 years ago or so; now I understand the system much better, but I still have my difficulties with it, since I never really read a kind of player's handbook of the game. All I have are the manuals of the EOB Trilogy, the shortened BG handbooks - and the (A)D&D starter box from 2000.

Perhaps I should add : I have some slight difficulties with numbers, too.

Like people who have dyslexica, there are people out there who have something called dyscalculia. I have a mild form of it, meaning that I have no problems at all with pure logic, but numbers are something I cannot work too good with, because they mean few to nothing to me. I can relativaly easily calculate with relatively small numbers, and especuially with numbers I can imagine something of, but the bigger the numbers, the more "meaningless" they become to me.

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but I despise people who want calculating within rule systems as complex as possible, because they find fun in i. In the Ulisses TDE forums there are definitively people who love doing stochastics with the number values of their heroes, there is even a program for statistical analysis of heroes and their skill values out there, and others openly say they just love "crunching numbers".

Because of my mild inability I'm always for formulating everything in words, too. I recently found a Wikipeia article xplainung a certain set of logics - in mathematical formulae ! This set of logic ctually uses words like AND, OR, NOR, XOR, these things, but *instead* of formulating everything using siomple words like "and", "or", etc. they just use some sort of mathematical symbols !

It was to me as if someone had decided to drain all of the "word"-logic from out of a text and replace it by "maths logic". It was to me as if someone had tried hard to replace in a novel every word with mathematical symbols.

This is the way I'm thinking.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; July 19th, 2010 at 11:22.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR