View Single Post

August 5th, 2010, 15:01
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Oh ho! This article goes beyond the "grumpy old man" bit and actually suggests solutions! Always a good sign.

I really don't understand what happened to turn-based RPGs. Sure, more sales go to the clickNOWclickNOW games, but more games are going after that market, too. Meanwhile, the let-me-think-about-this-for-a-minute crowd is getting starved. Particularly the ones that want some decent graphics.
It's simple. Turn based is not as marketable as action. The last major turn based games (say, Final Fantasy X perhaps), what could marketing show? just parts of cutscenes, never gameplay (there's nothing exciting to show from selecting a menu of options), while action RPGs you can show all the swings and jumps from the 'button smashed' character and it looks 'cool'. Put a loud rock music in the background and you have a commercial.

I prefer my RPGs party based (4-6 my ideal size), because I like RPGs for the strategic gameplay, not the story, not the cutscenes, not characters, but for the gameplay, the strategic use of resources, the considerations for the party composition… classes, skills, stats, inventory. But that's not something you can show in a TV commercial and people go 'Ahhh, cool!'

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is