View Single Post

September 9th, 2010, 11:53
I have always been a retro gamer even when retro wasn't retro . So I just pick the cream of the crop from the golden oldie period. It might be a little different than from what I remember, but they are still the best from a long time ago. I will admit that I cannot play The Bard's Tale on dos. I have to use a commodore 64 emulator to play that one because without it my mind rebels at these horrible dos images being assaulted on my commodore 64 memories.

As for step 2 well dosbox takes care of the technical part. For you youngsters who didn't grow up with dos I can see how learning the few commands in it can be a little frustrating, but it isn't that difficult once you learn the basics. I normally can get any game to run and only have to worry about the cycles. Before dosbox I can't tell you how frustrating it was getting Ultima: Savage Empire to run with sound. Actually, I don't think I ever did accomplish that feat without that program.

I used to judge a game before I bought it by how heavy it was. The bigger the manual the better the game. I was just a kid so I don't really have any excuse for that other than D&D had these HUGE manuals so I expected my crpgs to have them as well. .

These steps can be applied to rogue games as well as retro games. I could not get past step 2 and 3 for years with any kind of ASCII graphics or rogue game. It wasn't until all the praise heaped onto Dwarf Fortress and a few for ADOM by posters here that I finally gave it a serious shot and got through all of the steps. It opened up a ton of great games for me.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team