View Single Post

September 25th, 2010, 03:12
I'm sorry, Jeff is wrong. The game is not "unplayable". I will admit that it is not enjoyable to kids who grew up with today's games, but that wasn't the issue. The issue, for me at least, is that these kids couldn't do it when it was assigned as homework. They couldn't even read the manual to figure out what was going on.

"Ultima IV had an epic quest and morality woven into the game, which was amazing at the time. But everyone does those things way better now."

Name one game that has morality as the central theme or has done it better than U4? The whole game is about morality. To become the avatar you must become the best person you can be. Not one game has touched on this subject as the main quest. KOTOR has the "good/evil" meter, but in the end it was about beating the foozle. The Witcher is another game that gave you decisions that you had to make based on your own philosophy (or the one you were roleplaying), but again that game fails to beat U4 because it's still about beating the foozle whichever way you want to do it.

U4 is unique in that there is no foozle. I would love to see what Richard Garriot could do with today's tech if he remade Ultima 4 because obviously no one is going to try and do what he did. I just wish Richard hadn't been so gung ho about Online crap and continued making SP rpgs for a little while longer.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; September 25th, 2010 at 03:42.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team