View Single Post

September 26th, 2010, 09:52
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What struck me was the amount of detail that was put into the game to make it "mature".
And then didn't succeed

There are very rough and cruel themes among all of these things I'm speaking of the refugees in Lothlorien err, what was the name of the first town ? I mean the town after the Battle Of Ostagar (not Osgiliath, though ).
Lothering

I wonder, by the way, why these "arch-demons" have chose shape or body of dragons ? Why not anything else ? Why not quadruped, for example ?
I think that's more to do with what the god was before. One of the codex entries briefly touches on it, but I think it's basically Old Gods = Dragons.

I'm astonished how much detail was put into this game to let it look "bloody" in so small details as the waiting screen when a new area is loaded. Other games use progression bars, status bars or something But Dragon Age uses a circling thing that looks like a circling thorn-crown of some sorts. And to show the progress, there are more and more blood spots added to that screen.
I know. It's so boring, isn't it? What's wrong with the good ol' load bar.

It's kind of as if they were thinking that people would enjoy the look of blood spots everywhere within the game.
It' kind of as if they were thinking that people would actually hate such things like colourfulness, friendly, sparkling fairies and of course Unicorns.

Everything looks so much bland. There's only muted colours No, that is not right. thre *re* colours there, but thre is NOT any colourfulness to be seen. This world is totally devoid of - anything that looks like a Rainbow.
So, so, so true. And have you seen what they've done with DA2? It's the complete opposite! I think only Free Realms manages to be more colourful.

To a sensitive mind, this game is so much strongly made, almosed pressed into being grim, that it is almost over-the-top again And THEN I could find subtle hints that someone actually tried to avoid that, this "over-the-top" image. Because there someone tried to put a kind of balance into the graphics : Bloody, grim-looking, yes, but not too much The above mentioned loading screen isn't *full* of blood spots - no, it is only for 1/3 or 1/2 of the loading screen, whereas the rest consists of a more or less decaying parchment

So, someone must have thought : "okay, we represent the grimness by using the looks of decaying materials, and the cruelness and the violence of this world by using [and carefully placing at some places] blood dots."
I just think it was BioWare trying too hard. They've said that it's the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate (OK, perhaps a successor to a Baldur's Gate game drenched in the blood of a thousand whales) and that they took inspiration from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, which is one of the most popular (If not the most popular) dark fantasy series around.

But, unlike the Witcher, it looks like they've decided to throw buckets of blood everywhere in the hopes that it looks even slightly mature. No, it doesn't. It looks silly.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict