View Single Post

September 26th, 2010, 15:31
What you did was (I mean no offense here) list a bunch of clichés and tropes in each genre along with examples.

Almost all fantasy, by definition, is "high fantasy" in that it takes place in a world that isn't our own. Forgotten Realms, The Witcher, Drakensang, Dragon Age and so on (But not Lord of the Rings). That's one of the key definitions of high fantasy. But I wouldn't say Drakensang and The Witcher were similar types of "setting".

The Witcher is thematically darker but its world is no less realistic. What we see via the two games and Die Hexxer (I think that's its name, the TV show/movie) is a very dreary world with a lot of deprivation and suffering. That's the sort of setting Dragon Age has tried to replicate, but hasn't managed to. It's added a ton of blood (The Witcher is surprisingly tame in regards to blood) and taken away, at least in terms of atmosphere, the level of suffering people experience.

Sword & Sorcery is and isn't different from High Fantasy. Conan is a great example of your typical Sword & Sorcery adventurer. It's generally more about a warrior carving a path for himself rather than a warrior (or group of warriors) saving the world from, say, a demon or something like a dragon.

Dwagginz

Tea Addict