View Single Post

September 26th, 2010, 17:00
Okay, thankls for your input.

I wrote this text in the middle of the night, and my brain wasn't functioning properly anymore.

Besides, I wouldn't place Drakensang into "high fantasy". The setting is rather "low fantasy".

There's uncertainty about the definitions of high fantasy and of low fantasy - but nearly everyone who's playing TDE / Aventuri places it into "low fantasy".

The TDE setting of Myrnor/Güldenland instead is clearly positioned as "high fantsy".

I'm not sure, but I think that one point in the definition regarding high or low fantasy is the available amount of magic. The more magic, and the more … unique the creatures are, the higher is the chance or/and tendency to place a setting into "high fantasy". It begins with everyday use of magic. In a "high fantasy" setting - or so I understood it - magic is quite "norml", whereas in a "low fantasy" setting, magic is rather rare (as a tendency).

Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming popularity and dominance of (A)D&D as a system that is rather outlined to be for "high fantasy" settings, everyone assumes that in a fantasy world magic should be normal, or in other words : that "high fantasy" settings are relatively normal.

Which leads to people wondering wh there is "so few interesting stuff" to be found within the Drakensang games.

This is my opinion.

Edit Please note that in my opinion "low" fantasy is NOT the same as "dark" fantasy !

I'm not sure, but I think that "dark" fantasy could be both within a "high" fantasy or a "low" fantasy setting - according to my own definition.
For me, I rather define "dark" as a kind of "mood" rather than a "setting" … oh , my, now it becomes complicated …

Another edit : I'm still not quite sure what to think of the "Sword & Sorcery" term, although I have read it several times now … I think I should research this a little bit …

And yet another edit : The "high roads" concept is also something I know from TDE … but only from the Myranor setting. Sometimes I tend to think that someone at Bioware browesed through recent game world settings and themes, and took what looked interesting to him or to her.

But I must admit that I sometimes do the same.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR