View Single Post

September 28th, 2010, 10:13
When someone proves that a life with convenience is worse than a life without it, we'll have something to talk about.

Personally, I'm seeing two ways of living life and they're just different. I can enjoy life without investing myself needlessy, and I can enjoy life even when I have to do that anyway.

So, I don't really see the point in debating this from the nonsense nostalgia viewpoint. Stuff evolves, and though it's not necessarily better - it's not necessarily worse either. You have to come up with RATIONAL reasons, or accept that you can't.

As an old-school hardcore gamer, I'm not looking for a "back-to-basics" revolution. I'm looking for EVOLUTION. I don't want to go back to reading long manuals or mapping dungeons. I want to see GAMEPLAY evolve and I want to see genres moving FORWARD. I don't see that, unfortunately, at least it's extremely rare.

But you can't call redoing ancient concepts evolution. You have to go back and think about what quality was present, and then you have to evolve that. You don't recreate those old games by handing people paper and pencil and ask people to map stuff again, because that's nothing but hard work. Hard work isn't fun, it never was. It's just that there was a time when it wasn't PERCEIVED as hard work, because games hadn't EVOLVED beyond it.

What developers are doing today, is going back and COPYING old-school concepts and then dumbing them down and making them accessible. That's not how you evolve things either. That's how you steal things and halfway ruin them, because you don't understand or care enough about gameplay.
Last edited by DArtagnan; September 28th, 2010 at 10:26.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential