View Single Post

September 28th, 2010, 11:05
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
There is a new Paradox's game called Victoria 2 , i see it as hard work and i am not the only one yet many people love it , i think they are just weird .
Oh, I don't see that as hard work. I see it as a game that will reward investment into understanding complex mechanics, but there's a good reason for those mechanics. It's just that I don't really care for the subject matter - and the EU engine should have been killed off ages ago. They're milking slight iterations of the exact same game over and over, and I'm more into new things - than replaying the same game 10 times in a row.

I think that the "dumbing" down thing isn't entirely correct , i mean Sacred 2 was mechanics wise , graphics , engine etc much better than Sacred 1 ; same can be said for Vampire the masquerade , TES and others ; thing is that although Devs delivered evolved gameplay their games lacked soul .
It isn't nostalgia , people go back and play oldies because there is something there, i'd say that the devs had more love when they made those games and gamers can feel that .
Nah, I don't think Sacred 2 evolved gameplay over the first one. In fact, they just added meaningless complexity and kept the EXACT same issues present in the first one.

The issue with both games is that the character systems sucked, because they didn't give you tangible rewards in terms of power feedback. You kept improving incrementally, and you kept running into scaled enemies - effectively nullifying the sensation of progress. They also both had HUGE worlds, that were completely void of genuine diversity and were basically just hollow and samey.

You might call it a lack of soul, and that's as good a way of putting it as any.

I call it a lack of design competence and a lack of understanding when it comes to appealing to the human psyche.

Modern games are the sum of technology , devs ability and gamers demands so we are very responsible for the quality of the final product ; we are playing the games we asked to be made .Maybe we are losing our soul or something ?
No, I'm playing the games developers THINK the masses want. They could be right, or they could be wrong - but they're definitely not delivering what I'm asking for. I can't blame them though, because appealing to me - won't make them rich.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential