View Single Post

November 16th, 2010, 18:01
Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
But that's not what I meanů

Writing the C# code for a key/lock system is fairly simple, yes. Writing the C# code to handle a dialog with an NPC is quite a bit harder but still doable - also yes. But we're talking about re-creating a game here, so the next question is then: how do you intend to figure out what the *content* and *logic* of the more than 100 npc dialogs that appear in the game is?

This is the part that will almost surely break the neck of any amateur team that sets out to recreate this game from scratch. Re-building and re-scripting the game logic. It's not so simple and such small a task as you make it sound. I think you seriously underestimate the work involved!

But anyway, this is getting very much off-topic for this thread.. so I'll end it here with the final comment that this is all of course just IMHO. I sincerely hope someone will prove me wrong
I hope I'm not making it sound simple, as that's not my intention.

I'm simply saying it's doable for an experienced team - and compared to a modern game, with modern demands - it's relatively simple.

Mostly because demands at the time were much more limited. Emergent gameplay and such modern concepts weren't really expected back then, and even though Looking Glass innovated, it was still mostly Dungeon Master in a 3D environment with NPC interaction.

The logic of Ultima Underworld is not simple, but I don't see any major challenges. The AI is painfully primitive, and the NPC/quest logic - IIRC - is quite primitive as well. It's not like a modern Obsidian game with countless iterations or dialogue options - but rather a smaller bunch of quest triggers and what not.

Maybe we have different memories of the game, but I certainly don't remember it being all that advanced in terms of game logic, but I could be mistaken.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential