View Single Post

November 27th, 2010, 11:40
Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
Baldur's Gate selling more than the average game automatically means they found a way to combat pirates? As far as I know, Baldur's Gate sold more than the average game everywhere in the world..
Well, according to the story, it sold 6 times more. I think it is fair enough that they take some of the credit for that.

Also, I agree completely with their attitude. These guys treat their paying customers with respect, and I think pretty much every major publisher out there has something to learn from them.

As for their planned way of dealing with pirates, it sounds fair to me. They are talking about a fine which is "more than what the game would cost", which doesn't sound overly aggressive. It may not be legally sound in all, or even most countries, but that will probably work itself out. If they can't legally fine you, they can't legally fine you. If they can legally fine you, well, that's a slap on the wrist which you probably deserved. But the main point for me is that they are actually targeting the pirates with this, rather than the paying customers. I prefer that approach to what most publishers do.

Kay

KayAU

Watcher