View Single Post

December 7th, 2010, 00:34
Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
I think part of what we're seeing right now is the expense of creating new content. One little DLC micro-expansion is almost as expensive as an entire expansion might have been 10 - 15 years ago. The cost of making games has skyrocketed, and is now an order of magnitude more than it was back then.

So… they create 1/10th the content of an old-school expansion, sell it for 1/3rd the price, and hope they can sell it to 3x more customers than they used to sell full-fledged expansions for, maybe?

I dunno. But I think that may be part of the explanation.
I think you're right that there are a number of factors, and I can't argue that games seem to cost more to make these days. However I think the biggest cause of the low quality and quantity in DLC stems from the demand side and not the supply side at all. Devs can make all the excuses under the sun, but that won't convince people to buy what they're not willing to pay for. But far from not being willing, the market has embraced the DLC.

Your exhortations to DLC providers to not overdo it and have better deals and offer bonuses and bundles; these suggestions would all make more sense if devs were sitting around scratching their heads wondering why their DLC isn't selling. But of course it is. So why should they give more when people are willing to pay for less? That's just not how the world works.

It's pointless to assign blame in a situation like this, but I'll do it anyway: It's all the market's fault. People are willing to pay for anything, whether it offers value or not, and that means the devs who put in the barest minimum to DLC are going to be able to produce more and earn greater profits than those who give gamers a better value. That's all there is to it; devs are confronted with the choice between being more profitable or less.

So of course I salute any company that's still giving bang for the buck, and I salute those who are making expansions instead of nickel diming with DLC. But I don't blame those devs who aren't. I blame the (EDIT: nice folks) who paid for that horse armor. It really is all their fault.

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon