View Single Post

December 14th, 2010, 21:55
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
So why do you need a replacement code? Is the code you get only good for a set time period? Or is it in case you lose your code?

If it is the former, then the only issue I really have with that type of DRM is what happens if the company ceases to exist? Hopefully they give out codes that don't have expirations before they go, but there is not guarantee of that.
It is in some way connected to the machine. You send in a code generated in-game, and get the key in return. I had to get a replacement code once, after I installed Avernum 4 on a new PC. Don't know if you always have to, I'm pretty sure I've run Avernum games on different PC's before. But this time it was also a change of OS, from WinXP to Vista or Win 7.

I'm not particularly worried. Over the years, I've bought a lot of games requiring some kind of activation code, and so far I've not once been unable to play a game because I couldn't get a key through official channels when I needed it. Of course the risk is there, but it isn't great, and the cost of losing is fairly low. Actually, for me the risk of not playing a game I bought, because something more interesting turned up is far greater.
Last edited by pibbur; December 14th, 2010 at 22:10.

pibbur