View Single Post

January 10th, 2011, 14:21
Originally Posted by zadokAllen View Post
"Flawed" I can agree with, but not "severely". Also these flaws were easily forgivable, since game design was so groundbreaking. The games were heaps of fun too, and luckily I was young enough not to dissect them in a manner I might these days.

So, for example, even if I never truly mastered Powermonger, I always came back just to fiddle about with things and see what happens. It was so ahead of it`s time and also full of promise about videogames in general… (glad I didn`t know what will be the state of affairs in 2011

Syndicate - yeah, it was kinda solid, but also bit disappointing for me, maybe for that reason. The solidness took out the crazy innovation and once you got over the graphics and flamethrowers it was quite a dull game. As for Magic Carpet I must disagree- finished both and don`t recall any serious flaws…

Well now he`s got a real toy to play with, the all-conquering Kinect. Good luck with that, I hope he lays off this tired Fable franchise at least for a while…
Well, I have to bow to the response Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, and the rest of them have gotten over the years.

I'm a difficult player, it has to be said

But none of them worked for me beyond the novel ideas and the "toy" aspect of playing around with them.

Dungeon Keeper was pretty damn close, but I didn't care for the mission-based design - and I was a bit pissed at Molyneux and Co. for abandoning the original promises.

I remember reading that it would be possible to play the "Dungeon Master" and have friends take the roles of the heroes in a traditional CRPG fashion. Meaning you could design devious dungeons with puzzles and traps - and have other players going through them.

The result was, again in my opinion, something entirely different. Traditional mission-based design, that they've used ever since Populous. Meaning you had to start over - building a dungeon - a dozen times (once for each mission) and the challenge was figuring out the "puzzle" of the mission, rather than developing a strong dungeon with powerful creatures. I'd rather have a single campaign with a single dungeon expanding and evolving indefinitely.

Multiplayer was broken with impractical combat and inane AI.

Don't get me wrong, though. It oozed charm and style, but it just didn't work for me.

Powermonger was entertaining, but ultimately it was more a showcase of the neat 3D graphics and a rather simplistic strategy game. Didn't last long, even back then.

Magic Carpet was beautiful - but again with mindless mission-based design, doing the exact same thing over and over. Multiplayer was fun for a little while, because the idea of a flying carpet was great - and just like they did with Populous and the rest of their games, they gave you new toys as you progressed.

I don't think I have to comment on Black and White, but the media certainly loved it

But I realise some of their old stuff is hailed as classic material - and I'll just have to disagree.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential