View Single Post

January 11th, 2011, 14:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Well, I have to bow to the response Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, and the rest of them have gotten over the years.

I'm a difficult player, it has to be said :)

But none of them worked for me beyond the novel ideas and the "toy" aspect of playing around with them.
"Difficult"? More akin to Halo`s Legendary I`d say :) And I`m not exactly plain sailing myself…

I can more or less agree about the flaws, and rather toying than playing with these games. Still, they remain a top dog for me just for this dare to be different schtick. We need this kind of stuff- well, speaking theoretically of course, since it`s more or less done & dusted this century.
Devs like Shiny, early Ubisoft, Looking Glass and some others were constantly innovating and though their games varied in quality, at least they tried. And some of these tries came together and are my all time favourites…

It`s true that even back then Molyneux was an insane chatterbox, bigging up ideas he surely knew won`t ever make it into finished product. And the ever-cheering press is to blame too, maybe if they called him out on some of the BS back then things would be different.

Still, just look around the sorry landscape that`s mainstream videogaming in 2011…with few exceptions it`s rather tedious.

Well, at least I have the old Japan to fall back on :)

zadokAllen

Sentinel