View Single Post

January 16th, 2011, 01:35
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
You can see what's going on behind the curtain if you open the message log (think it's the 3rd or 4th button bottom left). Basically, if I remember correctly it works sort of like this. Your skill and tools give you a 'buffer' # of points to succeed (so, if your skill is 6 and you use lockpicks (+2) you have 8 buffer points). Then, 3 rolls are made (if you right click on the skill it'll tell you what it uses, for example (CO, DE, AG) those are the 3 checks against your stat scores it makes). Let's say you have CO 10, DE 11 and AG 12. A 1-20 roll is made on each. If it's lower it passes. If it's higher, you use your 'buffer points'. So, let's say your rolls are 8, 15 and 10. The 8 would be lower than the CO 10 so it's a pass. The 15 is higher than the DE 11, so you use 4 buffer points, and the 10 is lower than the AG 12, so you make the check and are successful with 4 points to spare.
There are modifiers of course, a difficult lock could be +2, or a specially easy lock could be -2, etc.
All made up numbers, I'm just talking from memory.
Thank you, very very much, Wolfing!
I knew that dexterity was involved, so I payed some attention to that one while constructing my dabbler burglar, but I never really understood how it all exactly worked.
And I neglect that Message Log too much, I'll keep it open more often from now on. Thanks!

A man should never be ashamed to own he has been wrong, which is but saying that he is wiser today than he was yesterday - Alexander Pope

Omega

Low Profile