View Single Post

January 26th, 2011, 23:42
I agree with the points you have made about why Divinity 2 is a solid RPG, and I would like to add that the quest design - sometimes even on small side-quests - was very well done the majority of the time. Overall, Divinity 2 has a lot of really good elements that make for what I find to be a really solid RPG experience.

However, I really don't like the combat. This is the only aspect of the game that is poorly developed and shallow, and this is disappointing because there is so much combat in the game. I truly have no idea what they were thinking when they decided that it was a good idea to implement the absurd jump-attacks. I also don't understand why there is no active blocking mechanic given the real-time combat system. Battles are spent constantly rolling around all over the place (the only defensive "maneuver"), jumping 30 feet in the air, and hoping to wear opponents down in silly battles of attrition. Combat is not the most important part of an RPG, so the shallow and tedious battle system of Divinity 2 certainly wasn't game-breaking for me. However, because combat is inevitable in RPGs, I prefer my combat to have some depth, either through the need of formulating good strategies or the use of sound tactics. Divinity 2 requires neither.

With that said, the poor combat is more than made up for thanks to a lovingly crafted world with great quest design, plenty of secrets to be found, and a fairly compelling (if a bit cliche) main storyline.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch