View Single Post

February 12th, 2011, 11:51
Heh, as much as I like Jeff's games, I think I'm better off not reading his blog. I seem to disagree with his opinions more often than not.

This whole "trash mob" idea is appalling to me. Why do we have to have trash mobs? For example, take DA:O (which, incidentally, Jeff likes a lot) and its endless trash mobs, e.g. in Deep Roads *shudder*. It was Not Fun mowing through yet another wave of trash mobs and it sure did not make me feel badass or Conan-like. All it did was make me wish it would end soon. Couple this trash mob idea with a shallow combat system and you've got a recipe for boredom.

Then take another game with a lot of combat, Knights of the Chalice. This is not a game with trash mobs, as you really need to pay attention to every combat you do or you'll get your butt handed to you. Even if you fight "the same old" orcs/gnolls/whatever again, every battle is interesting and meaningful as your characters are threatened in every battle. You won't feel bored as you cannot just "autopilot" your way through the battle. This is the key to CRPG battles! To be threatened in battle and with solid tactics and skill prevail. To feel the "rush of battle" and have a challenge to overcome - a challenge which you're *not* *guaranteed* to overcome. This makes me sit up and pay attention, not mowing through trash mobs and then maybe pay some attention in an occasional boss fight. Instead of thinking about the correct ratio of trash mobs vs boss fights, how about dropping that whole idea, please. How about making all battles interesting by having an interesting combat system and challenging foes to fight.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23