View Single Post

February 18th, 2011, 13:02
I see a problem if someone tries to break out from these "standards" by giving Elves or Dwarves a completely new destination.

The results are usuall of the WTF type and/or "THAT'S WRONG !!!!111!! DWARVES JUST ASREN'T LIKE THAT !!!1211"

TDE has such tries … The Hill Dwarves are just called "Aventurian Hobbits" by some TDE fans - and that, although the aventurian Hill Dwarves are clearly Dwarves, no other species … And the Elves are beings that have literally dreamt themselves out from the Light into Reality … How esoteric is that ? And a Bosnickel is called a Leprechaun (I'm sorry, but that's just nonsense to me …)

People seemingly like to stich to what they know. "What the farmer doesn't know, he won't eat !" is the translation of a proverb here.

So they sometimes try as hard as possible to put some creatures into drawers.
Some people just seem to fight the idea that somethuing might be "new" or even "unique". Imho.

When I wrote my short story "The Adorant" set in my own fantasy universe, some readers couldn't understand the way the Goddess I portrayed there behaved.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR