View Single Post

February 26th, 2011, 13:06
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Open world RPGs' main narratives work best when they are not immediate threats. In New Vegas you're just hunting down the man who shot you, there is no immediate need to find him. Then you have to decide which faction to work for, but again there is no immediate need to make a decision.
In fact isn't RPG as a whole that doesn't work well with immediate threat and decisions in a hurry?

About the scenario I quoted, I mean the first of the trilogy (in fact the second is better), you get hired to investigate about trading between two area that have been broken. But you quickly discover that it's far to be an isolate event but that it's vast conspiracy and manipulation that's already penetrate all the area and many sphere of influence. There's bandits attacking systematically caravans, but it's not simple bandits and discover clues about an organized plan and you get clues about the global plan. There's problem in a mining town? But you discover . There's a murder in a hostel? You investigate and discover clues about a guild assassin with links with the overall conspiracy plan. You even discover that some kings or barons that gave you some quest are in fact already manipulated. And so on, and so on. And the whole is rather funny and fascinating.

And I'd say that the last touch allowing come back in various area and say goodbye to various old friends, it's just a great touch concluding beautifully a maniacally tuned game from, story, scenario, branches, non linearity management, and fights to puzzles and exploration design. Well in the limits of the engine.

Dasale

SasqWatch