View Single Post

February 27th, 2011, 04:16
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
The DS3 engine was originally made for Aliens, which was a tactical game, so I can't see why they wouldn't adapt that. Why would they want BioWare's Dragon Age engine?

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think Feargus is feeling out the response and applying some gentle public pressure on Atari - but there's no sign yet they've signed up for it.
I would think it would be more likely that they would license the engine for the upcoming Neverwinter sequel from Atari. Personally I'd rather see another game in the Planescape setting, though licensing of that setting is probably far more difficult.

An Ultima sequel would probably not be all that difficult to license though - as EA seems to be interested in making money off of that franchise though has no interest in developing anything for it beyond crappy web based "free" to play games. This would be an opportunity for them to make some profit off the the Ultima name without having to allocate their own development resources away from things they consider to be more important - namely console sports titles.

Obsidian definitely has a distinct track record in terms of the kind of games they end up making though. They are consistently buggier than their predecessor but more intelligent and ambitious at the same time. What is not consistent is whether the intelligence and ambition of the game and plot outweigh the lack of quality assurance testing. Even some of their more critically and financially successful titles, such as New Vegas, cause quite a bit of debate about this point.

I generally like their games but I always find myself wishing they'd end up partnering with a studio that demanded more testing and debugging before release - and perhaps took on some of the responsibility for them. They just seem to be slightly worse at it than they should be. I'm also always disappointed with the scope of post-release patching too. Still, they're better thank Troika was as I think Troika must hold the record for largest and most comprehensive community-made patch required to play their games; though it's hard to blame a company that went out of business for not continuing to patch their product.

Anyways, I am excited about some of the things they want to work on. I think they'll have a lot of potential; I just wish to god they would hire some competent QA people and spend more time polishing their games.

jhwisner

SasqWatch