View Single Post

March 9th, 2011, 05:13
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I call this good news. We will get two rpgs from Larian Studios. Hopefully we can finally kill Damien. Something the divine should of did when he was a child.

I also have to agree with Lars on what the industry thinks of hardcore rpgs. If it doesn't have dlc plans or micro-transaction most are not interested. For this reason that's why there is only three big rpg developers out and its shrinking. That is a sad thought.

I'm also getting tired of hearing its to hardcore and company's using the term as if it is detestable. Another causality of streamlining for sales. So just let me wish Larian Studios good luck and hopefully one day you get a chance to make your dream rpg.
I don't get it. If sales are so bad for these types of games how were these types of games even made in the 90s-early 00s?

Were sales of these games higher back then than they are now? I find that hard to believe. The audience for games seems to be as large as it's ever been, and I really doubt that the 'hardcore' audience (I use that term loosely) is any smaller than it was 10 years ago. While the proportion of 'hardcore' gamer compared to halo/sports game etc. players is likely smaller than it was back in 1998, I really doubt that the actual numbers are smaller.

If publishers were able to make a profit out of a game like BG in 1998, when the game-playing audience was much smaller in general, why can't they do the same today?

Or are games so expensive to produce now that one must have blockbuster-movie level sales to be profitable? Just doesn't add to me.

Captain Smollett

Traveler