View Single Post

March 20th, 2011, 15:51
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
The gameplay is still tactical and predominantly the same as Origins was. The only thing they changed about combat that I dislike is adding reinforcement waves to every fight.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Because the 'action-RPG waves' that are in EVERY battle are a fundamental part of the game - difficulty is no longer about challenge but attrition. Tactics are not about an approach but ensuring you will survival multiple waves - which isn't about actual RPG strategy but instead about playing a tower defense or combat simulator game.

Actual strategy and tactics involve assessing a situation and making proper preparations. In a party based RPG that involves being able to see what is going on and who you are facing. Dragon Age: Origins did *all* of that - you saw the battle, you could draw back to see the battlefield, and you could plot your tactical course to deal with it. In DA2 you cannot know the battle scope, cannot see the battlefield, and so there is no way to plan. Sure you can pause and there are 'tactics', but I simply disagree that it is 'the same'.

Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I wouldn't call Fallout a shooter, though, it is an RPG in its own right.
Just for reference it is pretty clear that when they refer to Fallout they mean Fallout 3 *only*.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch