View Single Post

March 20th, 2011, 21:55
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Here are RPG Watch, it's generally understood that Morrowind was the best TES game and thus far the voting reflects that. Still, some of the supporters of Oblivion are quite vocal.

And oh yeah, Gothic tops even Morrowind, but this poll is not about Gothic.
All the games that appear in a large number of people's top RPGs of all time lists also had a lot of problems. This is particularly true with some of the games made by studios before the age of EA consolidation of much of the game industry as it seemed they were often very ambitious in their design intentions but lacked the resources to polish them.

Just think about games like Fallout 1&2, Arcanum, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Planescape Tormnet. Those games are often amongst peoples favorite CRPGs ever but each of them had significant problems that, to varying degrees, may be harder for some to look past than others.

I do include Planescape torment on that list of flawed works of gaming art even though it is my personal favorite because it was obvious to the player that the game was left unfinished. The simplest example of this (besides the comunity patches which had incorperated thousands of lines of de-activated dialog text) is Falls From Grace's diary. It was clear they meant to do more with that character, but your interactions with here just seem to end abruptly.

So I guess the perceived hate for Morrowind is more the regret many people have over how much better it could have been and the discussion of the more obvious flaws. Even if its someone's favorite game, they will probably be able to tell you 10 things about it that were done just plain poorly.

And oh yeah, Gothic tops even Morrowind, but this poll is not about Gothic.
Something about that game reminded me a bit too much of Ultima IX.

jhwisner

SasqWatch