View Single Post

March 20th, 2011, 22:00
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Because the 'action-RPG waves' that are in EVERY battle are a fundamental part of the game - difficulty is no longer about challenge but attrition. Tactics are not about an approach but ensuring you will survival multiple waves - which isn't about actual RPG strategy but instead about playing a tower defense or combat simulator game.

Actual strategy and tactics involve assessing a situation and making proper preparations. In a party based RPG that involves being able to see what is going on and who you are facing. Dragon Age: Origins did *all* of that - you saw the battle, you could draw back to see the battlefield, and you could plot your tactical course to deal with it. In DA2 you cannot know the battle scope, cannot see the battlefield, and so there is no way to plan. Sure you can pause and there are 'tactics', but I simply disagree that it is 'the same'.
This is a point that I would agree with. Many have suggested bumping the difficulty up to make it a "tactical" experience, but I don't think that the inherent encounter and combat design allow for a truly "tactical" experience (whether this is good or bad comes down to personal preference). I have found that boosting the difficulty certainly makes the game more challenging, but not in a way that is enjoyable from my perspective.

The way I see it, there are 2 types of difficulty: One type of difficulty changes the way that the A.I. functions, causing enemy units to fight "smarter" and use their abilities to a greater advantage, making each encounter a tactical challenge that requires the player to outmaneuver and outsmart the enemy A.I. through the usage of tactics and a sound pre-battle strategy developed at the outset of the encounter. The other difficulty type is one that I would consider to be "arbitrary difficulty," one which does not effect how the A.I. functions and how it uses the abilities at its disposal, but instead simply boosts the hit points of every enemy unit and "nerfs" certain player abilities. This certainly makes things difficult, but only through forcing a battle of attrition that artificially bumps up the difficulty in a way that is entirely different from the first difficultly type listed above. DA2's difficulty levels are designed with approach 2, in my experience.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch