View Single Post

April 27th, 2011, 01:21
I'd just like to say thank you to those who responded.

Gorath - It turns out that my fiancee has a bunch of co-workers who love Ticket to Ride. When I went to a local shop, though, they didn't have it in stock (they specialize in card games and Warhammer more than board games though). Certainly a game I'll look out for in the future.

Jaz - Dungeonquest looks fun, and they original seems to be beloved by many. Reading some of the Amazon review of the 2010 version, it certainly seems that they kept some of the rules and much of the spirit of the original, but did change a fair amount as well. The opinions I saw seemed to be fairly mixed.

Alrik - Thank you for the very helpful link to the spiel des jahres. That certainly presented many good options. I didn't realize, but it seems that based on these German board games awards and 2/3 of the responses to my question here that board games are quite popular in Germany. I wonder why this is so.

Anyway, I ended up getting a game called Dominion, which was a spiel des jahres winner in 2009. Although it's technically a card game, it apparently plays kind of like a board game, and not anything like Magic, for example. Its online reviews seem overwhelmingly positive and the two employees at the local shop I went to both recommended it as well. I'll probably play it tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully it's fun.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mike

Traveler