View Single Post

April 30th, 2011, 09:22
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Again, older console generations had very hard games with strict penalties. Mainstreaming games to make them easier, more streamlined and more fun for more casual players has happened to all platforms as gaming expands to larger audiences.
I've been gaming on consoles since the Atari 2600, so you're not telling me something that I don't already know. Yes, games in general have become easier, but games on consoles are not more "hardcore" than PC games. Unlike you, I still game on both platforms.

As I said though, mainstream and casual do not mean the same thing. A mainstream product is something that is created to appeal to a majority, not necessarily something that is easier. Although it seems rare nowadays for a mainstream game to have much challenge. Call of Duty or Super Mario would be examples of mainstream, while Bejeweled or Plants vs Zombies would be examples of casual games, imo.

*Edit* I just realized that I misread your original post. You were referring to the "gamers", not the actual games, when you were talking about hardcore. Yes, I would agree that the majority of hardcore gamers are on consoles. The sales figures alone make that tough to argue.
Last edited by JDR13; April 30th, 2011 at 09:49.

JDR13

SasqWatch