View Single Post

May 2nd, 2011, 00:34
Isometric perspective has some advantages both in action and strategic RPGs. In action RPGs you don't have to mess with the camera control and jump right into the action. There's nothing between you and the gameplay. So, the game become more immersive in this way. This is what makes Diablo so popular, you can play the game with simple clicks. After Diablo 2 there were some action RPGs who includes 3d rotatable camera to the gameplay, but they couldn't achieve the popularity of Diablo games. Blizzard saw this and because of that they stick to the isometric view with fixed camera. For strategic RPGs, advantages are pretty obvious. You can easily see the battlefield and issue commands instantly to your characters.

Anyway, I played and finished Divinity 2 and its' expansion Flames of Vengeance. While D2 is a good RPG, it's not great as Divine Divinity. I don't know why, but when I was playing D2 I felt that something was missing. I can't decide, maybe lack of the first game's isometric playing style or the somewhat limited exploration.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch