View Single Post

May 6th, 2011, 17:00
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
I still contend that it's an art direction problem versus "bad graphics." I think the quality of the graphics is fine, and probably really good for 2002. But it's drab and uninspired looking. Nothing looks particularly interesting, regardless of how the textures are, or polygons or whatever.
Matter of taste of course, but I´ve always considered the game to be providing an interesting and rather inspired visual experience.
Textures themselves may not be nothing to write home about now, but what really makes the game is the landscape design. Environments are diverse and rugged and there´s a chock-full of memorable, distinct places.
I´ve always liked the contrast between grim Valley of Mines, rather lush main area plus there´s the ,um, sorta Mediterranean feel of the addon world.
Coupled with music, solid assortment of ambient sounds, inhabitants´ daily routines or some lighting aspects there´s a strong sense of place and "atmosphere" to the game as well. Just take a stroll through the nightly Khorinis, for example.
Maybe it´s more about the overall feel rather than the visual experience per se, but Gothic2: NotR´s sports probably my favourite environment design to date so I had to chime in .

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside