View Single Post

May 8th, 2011, 10:15

Checkpoint systems punish you for exploring and taking risks. I like to experiment - try things that perhaps the developer didn't intend, or simply explore a world for the sake of exploring.
I go along with what you write as I am neither in control of the time I allocate to game.

This said, two things: some people can discipline themselves into adopting a style of play that support a gaming effect. Others need a rigid structure to allow the same effect to exist. You save a lot but do not reload often. Others are unable to do that and load anytime something goes wrong or to try to get the best of every situation. This changes totally the perspective on how to get an effect to take place into a game. Withdrawing the possibility to save often forces the effect into the game, effect you might not have without that constraint.

The second thing is that exploration must be a risk, it must come with risks attached to it.

And once again, if developpers want to get a risk associated feature, considering all the other design decisions they made, saves on checkpoints are the solutions.

In exploration, risks appear essentially when the point of no return is reached, with the player being caught in a between, not enough resources to move back and maybe not enough resources to move on.

Points of no return can be thought globally. In a dungeon, entrance is A and B the exit. When the points of no return are thought globally to go from A to B, the number of saves change little to the deal as most is decided at start, at A.
If you are well prepared at the entrance of the dungeon, you might go through it.

And eventually, you might face the same punishement, being led to replay from save at the entrance or close to the entrance, either to adopt another route to the exit (changing the exploration deal) or to move back and prepare better.

Now with all the design decisions made on resources management, thinking points of no return globally has grown inappropriate. As resources no longer dwindle all along the path from A to B but go through spikes, moving from hight to low back to high, being regularly replenished along the way, the point of no return can no longer be conceived other a long path.
It is achieved by cutting the A to B path into little segments during which your resources are likely to lack, as the game has to be beat the replenishing rate.

Both configurations are here to associate risk to exploration as it must be. But considering the developpment in other areas, check points saves are the solution to adopt.

All this to say that the options taken by developpers determine the availability of saves so dont expect otherwise.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch