View Single Post

May 9th, 2011, 02:22
Originally Posted by Dasale View Post
Apart that I don't see where is your Bioware stuff:
Your comparisons are all about BioWare's most recent creations which I don't think is where Jeff is coming from, other than maybe DA:O. The comparison comes from the fact that Jeff has said himself in his blog numerous times that he admired this or that from what BioWare was doing and now does a lot of it in Avadon. Companions, meaningless dialog choices, a jump-in-and-go-along character system, protecting the player from his own choices. Avadon is kind of like Avernum with a big gooey BioWare paste all over it.

I just got done playing a little of the beginning in Torment difficulty and was summarily pounded. Sure the giant rats and spiders were no problem, but when I came upon the wretches and thugs I didn't last long.
I guess that's just a difference in approach. You know the part where you're supposed to avoid a TON of wretches and sneak around instead? I did that first playthrough, but now for giggles I figured I'd go in and fight them headon, on Torment difficulty. Dozens of wretches later, I had got through using a skill only about half a dozen times and no items whatsoever.

I really am not a fan of this game's difficulty or combat structure.

So far I like it. It's not exactly what I expected from a Vogel title, but it's not that far off either.
It's not. That's what's kinda getting snowed under. It still offers a lot of what many people like about Vogel games. But after his last two, I can't help but feel a bit let down.

Brother None

SasqWatch