View Single Post

May 23rd, 2011, 16:08
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I find The Witcher 2 to be a modern Ultima 8. It's an action game with several rpg trappings. Since there aren't 7 other Witcher games, the outcry over the action-y changes aren't as loud as they were for Pagan. The biggest difference between TW1 and 2 is that user skill is much more heavily required in the 2nd game. You must have good eyesight to see those little dull-orange flashes that tell you what buttons to press.

Anybody know if there is a way to increase the size or change the color of those stupid things? Why didn't they use bright white instead of dull-orange? I found the battle with the creature near the end of chapter one nearly impossible, because I have a hell of a time seeing that dull orange indicator. This game is just a little bit TOO action-y to become a favorite for me. It's fun, but I prefer combat to be more about character design, than human skill.
It's ok to suck at the game, but that doesn't mean it's a modern Ultima 8.

I'm not sure what you mean by stupid orange things? If you're talking about QTE indicators - then I had absolutely zero issues reading them, so I honestly don't know what could be wrong. Oh, they're not "dull" on my screen - but rather bright.

About combat, I think it's the perfect mixture of requiring human skill - but where smart character building and tactical approach to combat is equally vital.

I love when games are fair, as I consider TW2 to be. It kicks your ass at first, but once you learn the nuances and make the effort - it becomes very comfortable.

I suspect most people just aren't interested in putting forth the effort, which is understandable.

Immersion is a huge thing for me, and "being there" in combat - is a biggie in that way. For me, at least.

As long as my "cerebral" decisions make a big difference, I have nothing but good things to say about games requiring a measure of personal skill.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential