View Single Post

May 24th, 2011, 12:30
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
I don't mean to say that I don't think The Witcher looks really good—it does! And I did mention textures, as in a console version would require lower quality textures. I do run the game on Ultra (without Ubersampling) and what I'm saying is that the difference between The Witcher 2 on Ultra to the best-looking games I've seen on consoles (I mentioned FFXIII on PS3) is slightly disappointing.

Okay, granted, I did say that I've seen better graphics on console. I guess that's not really true, but just an illusion caused by excellent design and perhaps personal subjective preference. I'm just a graphics engine whore that hasn't seen such a revolutionary new thing blow his self completely away since maybe Oblivion or maybe Doom 3.

I'm not complaining about TW2. It looks fantastic. But so does FFXIII and I want to see what GG posted (which I had already seen before). I want something to really strain my PC, which by now is already 6 months old again by the way!
Well, such things are subjective - and there's no way to "prove" what's best.

I just think it's the best looking PC game out there, and when you couple that with a fantastic gameplay/story - it all comes together.

Last time I was this impressed was Crysis - and that was due to the visuals more than the gameplay.

With TW2, it's how everything comes together.

Also, the textures themselves, if you take the time to look at the ground/trees/rocks - are just incredible.

It's been a long time since I've seen a major title play to the strengths of the platform - and the amount of memory available for textures is a big one.

Beyond that, we have some pretty huge areas with minimal load-times, and a very fast and flexible savesystem. That's another thing that impresses me.

When I compare it to other recent major titles like Dragon Age 2 or Fallout NV - there's just no competition. Considering that it's a european developer with comparably limited means - that is truly an achievement.

That they dare to make the game challenging and demand something of the player, takes it beyond great into "classic/masterpiece" territory.

I've yet to finish it - but there's nothing so far to dissuade me from considering it one of the best games I've ever played.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential