View Single Post

May 25th, 2011, 07:27
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
Oh, not at all. I just didn't want to ruin your intention for the thread. I don't always pay attention to that sort of thing, but since you asked nicely. But if you'll read my post, there is no mocking tone in it. It's simply that I like the graphics, but do not get this "best grafix EVAR!!!" feeling from it. (I spell it like this, because of the zealot, mindless, not thinking straight nature of someone who is totally bowled over by teh awesomes!)
I apologize then I misconstrued your intentions by the title.

Well, that may be it. I like all those technical thingies, or better said, I used to, but I haven't been bother much buy it in recent years. Last nice tech to come out is maybe texellation, which is DX11 and has yet to take off. But I used to love my specular lighting, per-pixel shading, shadow stencilling, and all those neat little tricks Carmack used to do in his old magick. I remember upgrading our 486 with some co-processor awesomeness (I think) and reliving Doom ][ all over again.

I kinda of miss all that. There have been a couple more of those moments over the years, a few of which I mentioned. I guess your "blown-awayness" struck a nerve of nostalgia, or something.

Maybe my expectations are too high. But I want that feeling of looking around and seeing this amazing reflection on that really cool railing, or staring into the distance feeling like it goes on forever back. Oh forget itů
I think I get what your saying. Like when I fired up my 3dfx voodoo card for the first time. Now that was a jump in technology.

I can like both, can I? I bought an Xbox 360 when my PC was aging badly and I kind of impressed with what the system could do. I still am, actually, especially when developers that are really good at what they do come out with some of their best work.

You may be right that consoles are keeping us back, but many engines for PC have been able to scale well, out of necessity. The revolution is still far off, then. It won't be coming out of the real-time raytracing corner any time soon, I'm sure.
You absolutely can like both. I just believe that consoles are the main reason games have become graphically stagnant. If you look at a game like crysis it's 4 yrs. old or so and still one of the best looking games out there. Pc hardware has continued to advance but it doesn't matter because games are made for consoles then ported over. If reports about no new consoles are coming untill 2014 are true then you should be prepared for 3 more years of very little graphical improvement in games.

While I do believe that tw2 has the best graphics iv'e seen in a game you are right it's not groundbreaking or light years ahead of everything else but I do believe it's better.

sakichop

SasqWatch