View Single Post

May 27th, 2011, 13:38
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure. It was a tip I read on some forum. If you manually set Ubersampling to 1 - instead of 2 (which is the default for "on"), you're supposed to get a less advanced version of it.
Really? Still not very interested, though. I couldn't see the difference either and it killed even MY framerate (although my GTX 470 wasn't the ultimate card even when I bought it six months ago). The game looks fine on Ultra with no ubersampling and flawless smooth framerate (no hitches at all).

I haven't been able to see any difference either way, not even with 2 - apart from a much lower framerate. Also, I've never heard of Ubersampling before - so I don't even know what to look for.
From what I read, it's some sort of advanced rendering that resembles what some professional 3D apps do. It renders every scene multiple times (4-8 probably), each with some jitter or something and determines the best way to render every object, shadow, etc. It's supposed to minimise artifacts and everything and provide something superior to anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering. You've never heard of it, because it's CD Projekt's proprietary tech.

Technological stuff that I do not fully understand but do find fascinating.

It's primarily Geralt's voice that I can't hear during scenes with background noise/music. I've set the music lower - but it's still very hard to hear, and background sounds also get in the way.
Yeah, I think I'd have a hard time understanding what was said without the subtitles. But I still have background music pretty loud. It could be your sound card, actually, as some filtering may make voices sound louder. I do this on my surround sound system, I actually set it to Pro Logic usually (even though I don't think the game does Pro Logic) and I can hear everything fine.

That said, I've had my PC hooked up to my projector on occasion - and I can recommend a light wooden board for KB/Mouse - as it works very well. A light board on your lap isn't an inconvenience. Well, it hasn't been for me.
It's not that inconvenient for me either, but I like the freedom of being able to move my legs, or lie back in a really lazy position. I sit at a desk all day already. Since I've connected my PC to the TV, I'm *never* going back! This is how I will play games forever or until I get something bigger!

I love games that reward investment like this, and I love that I have to pay close attention during combat and conversations.
And ironically, that's how I am able to immerse myself more, since there isn't a keyboard and mouse to get in the way. During cutscenes, I even put the controller down, so I there is nothing between me and the story. Ah, it's hard to understand.

I got rid of my TV many years ago - because I didn't like what it did to my brain, and I didn't enjoy the shit on it

My brain likes to be engaged, I guess.
I never watch TV, unless it is something I choose to watch. No pollution from commercials, no stupid programming and no filtered and selected news reporting. The only time I watch TV is the 5-10 minutes of cartoons before I leave for work.

Thaurin

SasqWatch