View Single Post

May 27th, 2011, 14:49
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
From what I read, it's some sort of advanced rendering that resembles what some professional 3D apps do. It renders every scene multiple times (4-8 probably), each with some jitter or something and determines the best way to render every object, shadow, etc. It's supposed to minimise artifacts and everything and provide something superior to anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering. You've never heard of it, because it's CD Projekt's proprietary tech.

Technological stuff that I do not fully understand but do find fascinating.
Yeah, I did read that part about it - but it still doesn't really make sense to me

Yeah, I think I'd have a hard time understanding what was said without the subtitles. But I still have background music pretty loud. It could be your sound card, actually, as some filtering may make voices sound louder. I do this on my surround sound system, I actually set it to Pro Logic usually (even though I don't think the game does Pro Logic) and I can hear everything fine.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I considered. I've got the sound hooked up to my LCD TV speakers - so it's not surround. I tried disabling the "simulated surround" on the TV - and that seemed to help slightly.

But there REALLY should be a separate volume setting for speech.

It's not that inconvenient for me either, but I like the freedom of being able to move my legs, or lie back in a really lazy position. I sit at a desk all day already. Since I've connected my PC to the TV, I'm *never* going back! This is how I will play games forever or until I get something bigger!
I also sit at my desk all day, sadly. But when gaming, I'm in heaven this way.

And ironically, that's how I am able to immerse myself more, since there isn't a keyboard and mouse to get in the way. During cutscenes, I even put the controller down, so I there is nothing between me and the story. Ah, it's hard to understand.
You seem to mention the story as the key thing, and that makes sense. If you primarily go for the "experience" of the story - then I can definitely understand a more relaxed position being preferable. Personally, I consider a good story "icing on the cake" - and I'm generally much more into the gameplay and the immersion of "being there" as that character. I like to "pretend" I'm the one in the world, and I prefer being as active a participant in the story as possible.

I never watch TV, unless it is something I choose to watch. No pollution from commercials, no stupid programming and no filtered and selected news reporting. The only time I watch TV is the 5-10 minutes of cartoons before I leave for work.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one hating most stuff on TV

DArtagnan

Waste of potential