View Single Post

June 10th, 2011, 17:02
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Of course I don't know either, thats why I said it will be interesting. However, Vogel is the only CRPG indie that's been around for over a decade, successful enough to feed himself and a family. That counts for something, in my book. Also, in my memory at least the core of his argument has nothing to do with pride. He says that his games are very niche, e.g. have a very small customer base. That niche is large enough to feed him if he asks the prices he does. He says he can simply not make the game attractive to that many more people just by lowering the price that it would compensate. If the argument is correct, it would probably hold true for a graphical roguelike like Dungeons of Dredmor.
He is probably right. If he cuts the price in half he needs a bit more than double the sales to reach the same result, say 2.2 * n. Higher sales numbers leads to higher transaction costs and more support requests, which needs to be factored in.
For such niche products, especially if they have an established customer base, it's probably a good idea to give everybody who wants to buy it for full price the chance to do it. Then he can get budget sales later.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team