Thread: Pricewatch!
View Single Post

June 23rd, 2011, 02:31
Originally Posted by DoctorNarrative View Post
Do you think Stonekeep is playable for someone who got into RPGs pretty far after it came out?
I don't think so. The only good thing that I could say about Stonekeep is that it was pretty atmospheric back in the day. It had decent graphics, sound and music for the time and it somehow generally managed to evoke a nice claustrophobic dungeon crawler atmosphere.

Other than that it was pretty terrible. The main reason there was a lot of hype about the game and the reason it turned into a massive love/hate affair was the combat system. To swing the sword in Stonekeep you had to simulate that movement with your mouse on the mouse-pad. Back then this was extremely innovative and it was kind of worth checking out the game for how this new system worked but if you want to spare yourself the pain of finding out how "well" it "worked" or was received then just think for a moment about how many games are offering the same kind of combat system today. Right. None.

My personal opinion is that the combat system was beyond retarded and except the atmosphere, as previously mentioned, I definitely don't have any good memories of Stonekeep. I remember giving up on the game when it became way too repetitive. All you did was walk down one long, empty corridor after another with doors to the sides. Then you opened a door, killed the two or three skeletons in the room and moved down the corridor to the next door. Rinse. Repeat. Ad nauseum. It sucked.

Moriendor

Spielkind