View Single Post

July 1st, 2011, 06:50
Of course nothing has to be justified. It's great the game is on Steam.

Originally Posted by Dhruin
Agreed, but Steam will undoubtedly give them massively more exposure than any other option, so I still think it makes sense to focus on that for now.
Yes, certainly makes sense for now.

Originally Posted by Scrav
I have no problems with the choices they made. It makes sense and minimises risk and more importantly in this scenario, unnecessary overhead.
But if they decide against selling directly they're exchanging one (perceived) risk by another which might be far bigger in the long term:
Their business success is 100% tied to their distribution partners - but their partners aren't invested in the game. Selling this very game is probably of relatively low priority for them, and they really don't give a damn about Gaslamp's business success. Which is only natural because their goals as a distributor are different to Gaslamp's as developer.

Anecdotal evidence (blogposts by other developers, etc.) makes me believe that getting past the Steam gatekeeper as an indie is like a rigged lotterie. You either have connections or you need a lot of luck. Even a well known indie like Positech Games only managed to sneak one game into Steam, all others were rejected. Jeff Vogel's Avadon was rejected too.

So what happens if Steam and a couple of other distributors decide to pass on the next game?
In that case Gaslamp will be caught with their pants down. No independent high margin sales channel, no customer data for the mailing list.
So direct sales are sort of a safety net.

So I'm not sure they made the less risky choice.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team