View Single Post

July 9th, 2011, 14:09
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
You can trace the feature back even further than that. Ultima VII had consequences for actions like this in your party and also in the way house owners would react to your presence if you tried to pilfer something. This isn't a new idea by any means, but I agree with posters about the brilliant way the Gothic series implemented it.
It also makes particular sense for Gothic, due to the nature of the harsh world that it illustrates.
I can only echo the sentiment that hopefully the Witcher will follow suit at some point, because not enough cRPGs have this kind of reactivity - and to think it started so long ago! (Thus a point well made, Skavenhorde)
You're right about Ultima VII (and it probably goes even further back), but the reason I brought up Gothic was because it was the first time (I believe) that the characters reacted to my presence in their home rather than after I stole stuff from their home.

I normally hate sneaking. It's boring and too dang slow, but sneaking into homes in Gothic was just too much fun.

I'd be happy if they just made the people react if I stole something from them in future Witchers, but it would be nice if they told me to get out. I know I would if someone just barged on into my home

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat