View Single Post

July 10th, 2011, 18:16
As much as I absolutely love the modding part of gaming, there are some games that just don't get much value out of modding tools. The Witcher franchise is one of them. When thats the case I dont see much benefit of spending developer time on polishing and release the tools and usually they will be too limited for anything huge anyway.

Sandbox games benefit greatly from modding tools as you are customizing your own hero and need a wider variety of looks and items to do that. Anything with a strong story line where the main character is picked for you doesn't benefit much releasing the developer tools. There are no absolutes but generally the kinds of mods that are generally made are item, clothing, body, face mods. (Hopefully they will be releasing blender/max/maya exporters and rigs). Few side-quests and storyline mods will be made and will take months or years before being released and most players will have moved on by then. Having said that I'm still looking forward to the release of djinni mark 2 and seeing what is possible.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor