View Single Post

July 10th, 2011, 22:57
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Alrik, what do you think of "Fly from Here"? It's amazing that these guys are still making music after all these years. Trever Horne and Geoff Downes on keyboards again sounds interesting!
Okay, I heard through it this morning.

The very first thing that struck me as odd was - the way how "simple" it sounded !

Gone are the (overly ?) complex compositions of the early eara (Close To The Edge et. al.), yes, the album even doesn't sound as "complex" as the last studio album did (which was "Magnification").

I had a kind of deja vu experience : To me it was as if I had Genesis turning into pop again … At the beginning of the 80s …

And indeed : The whole album sounds very much like "pop music" to me - compared to the complex stuff they did earlier, yes even compared to "Homeworld / The Ladder", the album with the title song of/for the PC strategy game …

But - this doesn't necessarily mean it's bad stuff. Not at all.
I'm just a little bit sad about the apparent loss of complexity …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR